Re: debian-user-digest Digest V98 #424

> Subject: Re: How do you connect one computer to another
> Date: 03 Jun 1998 10:49:02 +0200
> From: Martin Bialasinski <martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de>
> To: Debian Userslist <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
>
> >> "SM" == Shanta McBain <smcbain@junction.net> writes:
>
> SM> How to I get access to the Win95 tcp/ip
> SM> drives from the linux box and vise versa?
>
> Sorry, but what is a "tcp/ip drive"? Maybe you could explain what you want
> to do. If you want to access your linuxbox via the network neighborhood,
> you can use samba for this. This will also allow access the other way
> round.

Martin,

Here's what I have going on between my Win95 and Linux boxes.
I purchased two VERY inexpensive ethernet cards ($10 for a 10MB ISA
and $15 for a 10MB PCI).  My two machines are sitting within my
home, so I purchased a ethernet crossover cable so I could connect
them without using a hub.

Next, I used Samba and I connected my Win95 machine to the Linux
box using standard net use commands, worked pretty slick.  There
is a "HOWTO" doc on this at /usr/doc/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.gz that does
a good job at explaining what needs to be done.

Lastly, I hate to admit it, but one of the first things I did was open
the /etc/passwd file within Win95 Notepad and edited it.  It changed
the mode settings and I could no longer logon to my Linux box.  Luckily
I had a copy of the original file and just copied it over and things
are fine now... Duuhhhh.

Dean C. Sullinger
--
deans@crl.com