cat's got my lp1

The only way I can print is with cat <filename>  > /dev/lp1
If I use anything other, I get:
Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in .setdevice
Operand stack:
	--nostringval--
followed by lots of hex addresses, offsets, names, permissions and more hex
addresses. (I think they are addressses)

I recently chmod / -R 777 my system to try and cure a permission problem I
was having, I know - major stupid, This might be the problem.

My delema is not knowing how to reverse the 777 stuff, or where to fix the
lpd.

Any help would be greatly apped!  Thanx.