mode select keys in Xwindow

Well the install of Debian Linux went well and I've learned quite a bit
but I am having a problem with the keys that change modes in Xwindow.
They have no effect. The combo I use is cntr-alt + or -. Is this
correct? I have Xwindow running pretty darn good but those mode keys
don't do anything. The only combo that works is cntrl-alt-backspace.
That gets me out of Xwindows. I've looked at alot of the documentation
and am using "Running Linux" but so far no help.
Thanks
Paul