Another tape drive question

I have a question similar to Stephen Carpenter's <sjc@delphi.com> question
which follows:

	Last week I ordered a tape drive (and posted a question about
	SCSI controllers) It should arrive today :) ...I realized
	however that I still have questions...
	someone mentioned "creating the tape device"
	what is the name of the device? (I assume it is just
	/dev/MAKEDEV <devicename> to make it)
	is there nay good documentation on setting this stuff up?
	I tried to look for a FAQ or HOWTO but I couldn't
	find one :(

I have not been able to get a Colorado 1400 tape drive to work on my Debian
Linux server 2.0.6. I was able to successfully use MAKEDEV to create the
/dev devices. Since I could not get the tape drive to work, I used MAKEDEV
to create all three types of tape devices:

		./MAKEDEV -v ftape
		./MAKEDEV -v st0
		./MAKEDEV -v qic

When I try to run the following command:

	find . -print -depth | cpio -ocvdB > /dev/rft0
 or	find . -print -depth | cpio -ocvdB > /dev/st0
 or	find . -print -depth | cpio -ocvdB > /dev/rmt8
 or	find . -print -depth | cpio -ocvdB > /dev/rmt16
 or	find . -print -depth | cpio -ocvdB > /dev/tape-d

I get the following error message

bash: /dev/rft0: No such device
Broken pipe

Of course, the "/dev/<something>" changes depending on the device given in
the command.

I would appreciate any help anyone could give. I would really like to do a
backup of the system!

Thanks,

Chris Oddo
co@dls.org