Re: Need a little help

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Kendrick Myatt wrote:

> 1) What are the best websites for info on how to do such-and-such
> with Debian Linux?

http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP has a link to many HOWTO's (and mirrors nearer
to you.)

> 2) Where do I get the "Enlightenment" X-Windows package that looks so
> cool?

This has been answered already.

> 3) What do I need to use my 3Com Impact IQ ISDN TA for dialup PPP
> access to my ISP?

I have no experience with those. Read the ISDN-PPP HOWTO.

> 4) How do I set up my Creative SB16 soundcard to work under Linux?

I don't know if sound modules come with the default kernel. You might have
to recompile the kernel yourself. Look at the kernel-package for
instructions. There is a SOUND HOWTO as well. If your card is plug-n-pray,
you have to install isapnptools to initialize it before you can use it.

> 5) I have 36MB RAM on my system, how much of a swap partition do I
> need, if any?

That greatly depends on the amount of virtual memory you think you'll ever
need. It may also depend on how big your harddisk is. I think 72 MB will
get you a long way.

>     As these are pretty basic-sounding questions, a good answer to #1
> may be all I need :)  I've been running Debian 1.3 for a while now,
> and recently destroyed it trying to upgrade to the "frozen" code.  No
> worries, though...  I'll just reinstall the base stuff from CD and
> start over :)  Thanks in advance for any help!

Did you read the libc5 - libc6 upgrade mini-HOWTO (not on sunsite) before
starting the upgrade?

Cheers,

Joost