Problem with UTMP file upgrading to hamm

I took my up to date bo distribution (always bleeding edge from ftp
updates) and used the latest hamm distribution autoup.sh script and
appropriate packages to update libc5-libc6.  I then used dselect to suck
down all the important packages and had them updated.

When completed, I had a system with dselect claiming that everything was
up to date with regard to the hamm (frozen) distribution.  I followed the
instruction to recreated wtmp and utmp and rebooted the system.  I
received the following messages (very loose syntax because the logging is
not yet active to get a dump of the boot messages):

------

Cannot exec /etc/init.d/boot

/sbin/SVGATextMode: /usr/sbin/STM_reset does not exist

Starting scheduler atd: no /usr/sbin/atd

While opening UTMP file: No such file
While opening UTMP file: No such file
While opening UTMP file: No such file
While opening UTMP file: No such file
While opening UTMP file: No such file
While opening UTMP file: No such file
While opening UTMP file: No such file
While opening UTMP file: No such file

(none) login:

-------

The messages about SVGATextMode and atd just appear to be harmless
leftover init.d configs from bo but it concerns me that /etc/init.d/boot
is not found (there is an /etc/init.d/boot.OLD) and it appears the
showstopper is a problem with UTMP because I cannot log on to my machine
anymore.

I've booted to my old bo rescue disk and poked around the directories a
files a bit and found that indeed for /var/run/utmp is a 0 length file
with 644 permissions so I don't see the problem there.  It appears a lot
has changed in the bootup process so I'm not sure where to begin to sort
things out now.

Anybody have any suggestions?  I am building up a better rescue disk so I
have some useful tools like grep to look into this further.

Thanks,

Matt Porter
porter@neta.com