Re: [OFF TOPIC] Connecting Win95 to Linux(server/gateway)

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998 servis@purdue.edu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Shortly I will be adding a second computer to my home office and I
> would like to get a jump start on the documentation for networking the
> two.  My current machine dual boots Linux/Win95.  The new machine will
> probably stay all Win95.  I have a dial-up PPP connection currently on
> the Linux box that uses straight pap/chat to connect.
>
> I would like to network the two so that the new Win95 machine uses the
> Linux box as a gateway to the internet and as a server.  I will
> probably try to use PLIP as the protocol between the two as the Win95
> machine will not have a printer attached to it and I have a spare
> parallel card I can drop in the Linux box which already has a printer
> attached to it.
>
> So what documents do you all recommend.  I would like to leave the
> printer on the Linux box.  So far I think I should read.
>
> Diald mini howto
> IP Masquerade mini howto
> Net-3 howto
>
> I know I will need to build a new kernel and install samba and diald
> but what else?  Will samba handle the printer so that the printer can
> be used by the Win95 machine as a native printer and all it's native
> drivers(It is a hp deskjet 660C)?  The linux box is up most of the time
> and the Win95 box will be up sporadically

I'm about 50% completed in the exact same process you describe.  I've got
a Linux machine at home with a printer, modem etc. and we've just bought a
new PC for my wife running NT.  I've had diald running for some time now.
I had a little trouble with that, the first try at the config files was
unsuccessful, but fixed that and its been working great.  I just finished
setting up IP Masquerade.  It was fairly easy, followed the IP Masq. howto
to the letter and seems to work beautifully.  She's got Internet access
pretty seamlessly from her machine.  Now that the basic IP connectivity is
established I'm about to dive into Samba so that she can get at the
printer.

You need to rebuild the kernel for the IP Masq. stuff, its spelled out
completely in the howto.  We used Ethernet as the LAN between the two
computers and used the standalone IP addresses (192.168.1.0 network)
mentioned in the howto.

I've read the Samba docs but haven't spent any time with it yet.  My
understanding is that Samba will allow the Windows machine to connect to
it and use the resources (such as printer) just as you would do if the
print server machine was running Windows.

Good luck...