problems with vnc

boeing@zib.de writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I wanted to make my Linux-X-stuff available on a Win95 machine,
 > the two computers being connected via null modem. I thought vnc
 > might be the appropriate software, so I tried to set up my linux
 > box as a vnc server. This was not possible couldn't as the vnc
 > server didn't find any free sockets (I don't remember exactly what
 > the error message was, but something like "you might have already
 > an x session running"?!).

Here goes:

I installed vnc from the binary distribution onto a debian 1.3.1
system, in /usr/local/vnc.

As you have discovered, the *nix versions of vnc work by starting an X
server. On my system, I used a separate font directory to get around
the fact that Xvnc doesn't understand gzipped X fonts. So, I copied
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc to /usr/local/vnc/fonts, gunzip'd the
files, and ran mkfontdir.

I run my system using xdm, so the supplied vncserver script failed
(similar to what you report.). I've not hacked vncserver to work on my
system, but I *was* able to use vnc over my LAN using the following
command:

Xvnc :1 -fp '/usr/local/vnc/fonts/' -depth 16 -httpd /usr/local/vnc/classes -httpport 5801 -broadcast -ac

Now, a few notes:

I use :1 because xdm is already spawning a server on :0.

To make this work right, I probably should replace the value of -fp
with something referring to a font server.

I've found that vnc doesn't map colors well in mixed-depth situations;
since I run all my systems (linux and win95) in 16 bpp normally, it's
not a problem. If you're connecting from a system that uses 8 bpp,
change the -depth setting accordingly.

Also, I'm bypassing authentication, which is probably not a good idea
if your system is on the Internet.

The result of this is that, using either vncviewer (which uses port
5901) or a web browser (pointed at port 5801), I get an xdm login
screen, which lets me log in to an X session on my system.

I've not played with the vnc package, as I'm not ready to upgrade to
hamm yet.

On a separate note, having done ppp over null modem, I'd recommend
that you try PLIP as an alternative. The only expense is the cost of
the cable (and giving up a printer port on each machine), and the
performance is much better.

- Jim