video problems

Hi,

I sent a note about this problem a week or so ago and got back some mailer
daemon error messages so I'm not sure it made it. I apologize if this is a
duplication. I'm having trouble with xdm. Every couple times the user
exits the window manager, the machine hangs with a black screen and red
and blue vertical lines. The only thing to do at this point is a hard
reboot. This has happened with a range of kernels (now it's using 2.0.32)
so it seems to me that either the video card (an S3 Virge) or the driver
is at fault. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Again, this
doesn't happen every time. I'd say once in ever 5 or 6 tries. Thanks,

J. Goldman