Re: ppp error question

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Shaleh wrote:

> I received this last night:
>
> Excessive lack of response to LCP echo frames
> connection terminated
>
> What does this mean?  I had to reboot because my box quit seeing my
> modem.  setserial would say /dev/modem, unknown UART, 0x2f8 irq 3 with
> `setserial /dev/modem`.  It is an internal Best Data uses dip switches
> and has served me faithfully for many moons.  Is there some way to reset
> a modem without a coldboot (which this required, reboot did no good)?

I had a problem similar to this one that eventually degenerated to the
point that I purchased a new modem and the problem went away. I didn't get
a locked up machine right away. It would only hang the connection.
Eventually the modem got so fratsed that it could not be recovered without
a reboot. That was when I went looking for a new modem.

The error message is a result of having LCP echo frames configured in your
options file (as a keep alive for the link). When this error would happen
to me, my ISP would still show me as logged into the system, even though
neither of us could ping the other. Removing the LCP echo from the options
file only made the errors more bizzar.

Hope this helps some,

Dwarf