Re: xplaycd works without sound output

Quoting Torsten Hilbrich :
->
-> ettore@math.sunysb.edu (Ettore Aldrovandi) writes:
->
-> > I'm wondering if a user can be added to the groups audio, cdrom
-> > and floppy only if he or she is at the console. This behavior can
->
-> from /etc/login.def
-> #
-> # List of groups to add to the user's supplementary group set
-> # when logging in on the console (as determined by the CONSOLE
-> # setting).  Default is none.
-> #
-> CONSOLE_GROUPS		floppy:audio:cdrom:tape

This is exactly what I was referring to. It adds the user to
those groups "on the fly" if he's logged at the console. It works
as expected for a text mode virtual console. However, it is ignored
if you use X and log in via xdm. I didn't try starting the X
server with startx though. (I realize I didn't express myself
very clearly in the previous message.)

-- Ettore

--
Ettore Aldrovandi