Re: immovable mouse cursor under XFree86 (Debian 1.3)

Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> I have a 2.1a mouse and it works fine on /dev/ttyS0. It isn't an
> intellimouse. Here are the two bits of /etc/gpm.conf and /etc/X11/XF86Config
> that might help. Let me know if there is any thing you would like me to try
> to see what the problem is. I'm running (pretty much) the latest Debian
> unstable (XF86 3.3 not 3.3.1).
>
> /etc/gpm.conf
> -------------
> device=/dev/ttyS0
> responsiveness=
> type=bare
> append=""
>
> /etc/X11/XF86Config
> -------------------
> Protocol    "Microsoft"
> Device      "/dev/mouse"

Interesting....  My copies of those two files appear to be identical to
yours, and the mouse still didn't work on my machine.  Larry's copy of
/etc/gpm.conf had device=/dev/mouse instead of /dev/ttyS0, but is
otherwise the same.  I'm running XF86 3.3 on a Matrox Millenium, and
Larry has XF86 3.3.1 on a Matrox Millenium II.  I would have suspected
the X installation, since we didn't put a full 3.3.1 on, only the
Millenium server and the rest is 3.3, but gpm doesn't work, either.  Not
only that, but my Logitech Mouseman works fine on both systems, with no
software changes at all.  ?!

Larry asked me yesterday about recommendations for a different kind of
mouse, so I think he's going to be replacing the mouse shortly.

Thanks again for your help,
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College