GRASS and libcurses.so.1

Perhaps this is offtopic.  Perhaps not.  I am trying to get GRASS running on
a debian system.  My problem isn't unique, but I want to find out if anyone
running debian has solved it.

The problem I am getting with existing precompiled binaries, is failure to
load the curses library libcurses.so.1.  A solution has been proposed, of
FTPing the libcurses.so.1 file on the GRASS ftp site and installing it.

I would like to ask whether this would cause any problem, or what other
solutions have been found, short of recompiling.

(I would like to compile grass, but my system is, as usually the case when
trying to keep up to date with debian, in limbo.  This brings up another
question---is it safe to begin compiling with libc6?  When will it be?  Does
the dual library compilation route work?  Ahhh  sh....  ).

Alan Davis

--

"I consider that the golden rule requires       Alan E. Davis
that if I like a program I must share it        Marianas High School