Re: Starting out...

bhaal@midkemia.xenon.net wrote:
 > On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Ms. Geek wrote:
 >
 > > Are there still any pitfalls to using Debian Linux with the K5 chip or any
 > > of the other hardware I mentioned above? Eventually I plan on upgrading to
 >
 > I dont know about any other hardware, but I am running Debian on my AMD
 > 586/133mhz motherboard and it works fine.  The K5 and K6 chips are
 > designed more for data processing and file movement..  Linux will in most
 > cases run faster on these motherboards then it would on a Pentium
 > motherboard.  This is what I have been told and also seen..

There is a "K6 vs Pentium" thread in c.o.l.d.system (IIRC), have a look.
Main thing about non-Intel chips is that they come with slower FPUs and
are optimized for integer math.  Anything that uses FPU (like Quake) will
run slower on these chips.  OTOH apparently K6 is faster that Pentium when
it comes to kernel compiles etc.

--
Dimitri
emaziuk at curtin dot edu dot au