Re: SB AWE 64 versus Soft. Syns. for making midi... Also, midi keybo

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 14, 1997 at 03:15:12PM +0000, shawn.fumo@the-spa.com wrote:
> > I have noticed there are a couple of soft. syns. available for Linux,
> > including KMidi, TiMidity, etc. Has anyone been able to compare the
> > quality of these to the AWE64?

I haven't tried out the AWE64 (I have a SB16), but I highly recommend
TiMidity.  It is *excellent*!  It can also handle (up to 48-voice?)
polyphonic music very well, especially if you have a fast machine.  On my
Cyrix P166+ with 32MB, it plays the MIDI file without interruption unless
I'm doing too many CPU- and disk-intensive stuff.  ^_^  Sound quality?
Excellent!  ^_^  The patch files included in the Debian TiMidity packages
are quite quite good.  <smile>

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling            foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca