Re: Forking debian-user?

> > The Debian watchword has been from early on, a system that can be painlessly
> > upgraded.  At least twice, this watchword has failed---when a.out moved over
> > to ELF, and when libc5 moved over to libc6.  In between these big changes,
> > have been an endless stream of smaller changes.
>
> Well, libc5 to libc6 can be fairly painless, although it does require a
> special procedure.  However, the procedure is documented in the Mini-HOWTO
> which I post here and on debian-devel from time to time.  We've done it
> better than anyone else, is there another distribution you could upgrade
> past a.out without reinstalling?  I think we'll have the best libc6
> upgrade procedure too, but since we're the only ones with it public, I
> really can't tell for sure.

Strictly speaking, currently upgrading to libc6 means upgrading to
unstable.  Nobody ever promised _that_ was going to be painless.  How
smooth the upgrade will be can only be properly judged when Debian 2.0
comes out.

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032