USR Modem Hangs Intermittantly

I have a US Robotics Sportster 28,800, and it works, sort of.  However,
every two or three minutes (give or take a minute or more) it hangs for
about 30-200+ seconds.  It did on each of these last two lines *scream*.
Same thing under Win95.  I know this is not my server is is very fast
from a terminal on campus.  I have heard that this is a problem with USR
Sportsters and that there is an init string type fix.  I couldn't find it
anywhere on their web page or 'automated voice system' (read: crock of
shit) though.  If anyone out there know how to solve this problem I would
certainly like to know.

__
I like six eggs when starting on a journey.  Fried - not poached.  And
mind you don't break 'em.  I won't eat a broken egg.
                                              -- Thorin Oakenshield