updating existing partially hosed but working system.

I am building a new system.  This time around, it seems *almost* (tm)
to have worked---but I have to send in the motherboard.  Meanwhile
perhaps I can prepare the existing system for the eventuality.

I have been running this system as partially crippled for several
months; because of the small disk space, etc., I cannot afford to do
anything potentially risky on this machine AT LEAST until I get it
talking to the new machine and back it all up.

Not the biggest problem w/ the existing system is that I deleted the
/var/lib/dpkg/info/status, etc. files.  Since then I have done a few
lightweight upgrades.  CAN I INSTALL OVER THIS SYSTEM SAFELY USING THE
1.3 or pre-1.3 disks?

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM is that compiling has been hosed for months, and I
consequently gave up months ago on packages I have been compiling
regularly for a couple years.  Part of the problem seems to be I
copied the include files from a linux kernel over a system that had
incompatible, older (3.0.x) libraries---I gave up on the whole
adventure months ago, waiting until I have a clean install on a system
that can take it (ie., more than 200MB disk space).  I have posted to
this list many times about this confusing problem about kernel
headers.  I have read many postings, and tried to make sense of it
all.  But in my mind, it has so far  been a confusing and vexing problem.
I even installed more recent libc5 development versions, but the
compiling problem wouldn't go away.  WILL UPGRADING TO 1.3 debian make
any difference?

I should say that even though I have been using debian linux
EXCLUSIVELY since before the great a.out to ELF debacle, I may be
forced to abandon ship for another distribution on my new system
unless I can make sense of the header issue, as well as debianized
sources.  You might just say that I am clueless.  It's one more level
of kludges I don't need to deal with.

Thanks for the many times I have received helpful advice on this
list.

Alan Davis

--
 Alan Eugene Davis      Marianas High School      15o 8.8'N       GMT+10
 adavis@saipan.com      AAA 196 Box 10,001        145o 42.5'E

"if a close inspection should show that the supposed hand-wrought
 spoon were in reality only a clever imitation of hand-wrought goods,
 but an imitation so cleverly wrought as to give the same impression
 of line and surface to any but a minute examination by a trained eye,
 the utility of the article, including gratification which the user
 derives from its contemplation as an object of beauty, would
 immediately decline by some eighty or ninety percent, or even more"

     ------Thorsten Veblen, _The Theory of the Leisure Class_