Re: updating existing partially hosed but working system.

Alan Eugene Davis writes:

> I have been running this system as partially crippled for several
> months; because of the small disk space, etc., I cannot afford to do
> anything potentially risky on this machine AT LEAST until I get it
> talking to the new machine and back it all up.
>
> Not the biggest problem w/ the existing system is that I deleted the
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/status, etc. files.  Since then I have done a few
> lightweight upgrades.  CAN I INSTALL OVER THIS SYSTEM SAFELY USING THE
> 1.3 or pre-1.3 disks?

This is a problem.  This is one of dpkgs major databases.  Please
investigate if your system has made a backup in /var/backups.  If
not you'll have to re-install everything, but better backup your
/etc before.

You will run into problems if you try to compile old libraries/headers
&c.

Regards

	Joey

 /                                     http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/ Install joe (Joey's Own Editor)     correct: Joe's Own Editor /