Re: [META] Use of the list for non-Debian matters

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, DANIEL STRINGFIELD wrote:

> I'm not personally thrilled with the high volume, but I wouldn't wan't to
> make things not specific to debian (other than things like how to on
> Redhat or something) to stop being supported.  I think the list serves
> well as a LINUX mailing list, for Debian Users.  Not a specifically Debian
> list for Linux users.

   I second those sentiments too.  As a Linux newbie who chose to run
Debian, I have a lot of newbie-type questions which I'm not sure are
Unix-related, Linux-related, or specifically Debian-related.  I've posted
in linux-newbie for various topics but a lot of the replies I received
were RedHat or Slackware-specific.  That is simply a recipe for
frustration for newbie Debians.  I was thrilled upon finding this list,
one which dealt only with Debian.

   If it's decided to tighten things up, the powers that be should give
thought to a Debian-specific newbie list if this list isn't going to
support that function.

                          | Debian GNU/ __      o
 Regards,                 |            / /     _  _  _  _  _ __  __
 (redwards@together.net)  |      ...because lockups are for convicts...