fdisk problem - can't seek

I'm trying to install debian (version 1.2.10 or so) on my new computer.  It is a Compaq presario 8772 with a 6.5 gig IDE drive.

I have partitioned it using partition magic to have 3 fat drives and an unpartitioned area for Linux and a Linux swap partition.

In the second step of the install (partition hard drive /dev/hda) I get a message from fdisk "Fatal error: cannot seek on disk drive. press any key to exit fdisk".

 Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks
- Al