Re: LILO cylinder problem

On Fri, 25 Apr 1997, David Pfitzner wrote:

> > So why in the hell does lilo report cylinder 2312 which I'm fairly sure is
> > in hda3 when I'm setting up hda2 which starts at 817?
>
> I seem to recall reading that you can have problems with
> partitations where are not _entirely_ within 1023 cylinders,
> because the kernel image could happen to be in that part
> of the partition which is past the 1023 cylinder.

Exactly. And what I do to deal with the problem is create a very small
partition for the /boot directory, where vmlinuz and the other LILO stuff
resides. Mine is 4 mb but 2 mb is more than sufficient.

Perry
--
If red tape were nutritious, we could feed the world.

Perry Piplani                http://perrypip.netservers.com
perry@perrypip.com           http://www.netservers.com