Re: HELP: Fatal Signal 11

    John> Hi all: I'm fairly new to linux. Lately I've been getting a
    John> lot of fatal signal 11's.

    John> It seems to occur when my system has been up for a few days
    John> under light load or up a day under a heavier load, running
    John> some job in the background for about 24 hours. Then I get,
    John> compiling using g77 (I had been running memtest in the
    John> background for about 18 hours):

 I had  exactly the problem you  describe, and it turned  out  to be a
stuck CPU fan.  I had been cooking french fries in my small apartment,
and the vapor from the oil gummed  up the CPU  fan.  I was able fix it
with some WD-40 (a light machine oil that comes in an aerosol can with
a tube in the  squirter to restrict the  spray into droplets.) sprayed
into the fan...

 I shut down the computer, and opened the case.  Then, I unplugged the
power from all of the drives and the motherboard, and lifted the lever
to pull out the CPU with its attached fan.  I took the  fan off of the
CPU, (breaking  one foot-hook off the  mount, but it still works.) and
with the fan being the only thing plugged  into the power supply, turn
on the main switch.

 The fan would not spin; I spun it with my finger,  and it started for
a second, then quit again.  I  sprayed WD-40 inside, being careful not
to drip  on the computer's guts.  I  used enough so  it dripped clean,
and turned it on again, and got it started.   It began spinning on its
own, while I  tilted it back and  forth to spread the lubricant inside
it.

 After I turned it back   off, I wiped it  clean  with a towel, so  it
wouldn't  drip inside   the computer thus    frying  my CPU, and   put
everything  back together again.   (Discovering that the socket7 is so
designed as to make  it impossible  to insert  the CPU the  wrong way.
Good thing!)

 The sig11's quit happening.

--
Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>