"dselect" replacement project ("deity")

It is my pleasure to announce the formation of the dselect replacement project,
code-named "deity".  The project will be made up of the following 7 people:

Project Leader:       Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com>
 - General organization, dispute resolution, final say on "capabilities"

  Chief Programmer:   Peter Iannarelli <peter@pisys.com>
   - Code organization, task breakdown, final say on "code"

    Mechanic(*):      Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
     - Low-level class and library design

    Dpkg Consultant:  Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk>
     - Expert on compatibility with existing dpkg, dependency algorithms, etc.

    Web Designer:     Mark Constable <markc@vv.com.au>
     - Work on HTML and CGI interfaces

  Chief Designer:     Behan Webster <behanw@verisim.com>
    - Screen layout, ease of use, final say on "user interface"

    Documentation:    Che Fox <che@imsa.edu>
     - high & low level design docs, idea tracking, user manuals

(*) Someone who likes to work on low-level "engines".  (I get called this. :-)

A new list "deity@lists.debian.org" has been created with these people
subscribed to it.  I'm sure I speak for the whole team when I say that we
would like to hear everybody's ideas for this new tool.  As the design
progresses, we will be presenting it back to the devel & user lists for
feedback.

About the people:

* Brian White has been working within the Debian project for about 2 years now
and is current the vice president of engineering.  He has 14 years of intense
software development and knows C and C++ very well.

* Peter Iannarelli is fairly new to Debian but is anxious to contribute.  He
has 13 years of experience with Unix and C, plus 7 years of C++.  He also has
a background in java, motif, and curses, along with strong design and
documentation skills.

* Jason Gunthorpe has 4 years of experience with C/C++ and enjoys working at
the class-level of designs.  He has already started working out how some of
the underlying problems can be solved efficiently.

* Tom Lees has experience with C/C++ and has spent time studying the existing
dpkg system.  He also has a background in text-mode user interfaces and sgml
documentation.

* Behan Webster has 14 years of experience with C programming and Unix, plus 5
years of C++.  He has worked extensively on user interfaces (mostly the
graphical kind) and has a good feel for what is intuitive and easy to use.

* Che Fox is a whiz at linuxdoc-sgml and will be managing the documentation.
He also has experience with Tk interfaces.

* Mark Constable has a good background in web/cgi interaction and will be
working to make that a viable interface.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )

 the difference between theory and practice is less in theory than in practice