Re: Appeal to IBM for VisualAge productline to Linux

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, Ronald van Loon wrote:

> Well, let me put it this way: I have extensive experience with various
> C++ compilers, but this was the first time that 'Visual' actually meant a
> way of programming, instead of just a buzzword. I can't comment on the
> quality of the code generated, but in the live(!) demonstrations I saw, the
> ease of generating UIs is high.

Yes, that is quite unique about VAC++, they did a really nice job on their
Visual Devel tools. The compiler proper though is not terribly awesome, I
ran it through some C benchmarks and it fared about as well as Borland,
cept took longer to copmile.

> Also keep in mind that I saw the demonstrations performed on Laptops running
> Windows NT. As most laptops are not normally equipped with lots of memory, I
> wonder about the 64M claim:

With VAC++ 3.0 64M was a MINIMUM to even think about using it under OS/2
with the Visual Devel tools. Hopefully they have improved that
substantially.

Lets just say that you could use the visual tools in 32M, but you'd better
have one wopper fast disk! The tools themselves were not so bad you could
use the VA stuff but when you went to compile it would swap out the VA
things, compile, swap the VA things back in etc, very unpleasant.

> What I have seen of the debugger and profiler seemed to be very
> sophisticated; if I had something like that for Linux right now, I'd be a
> very happy camper. gprof is nice, but it offers little or no tuning
> capabilities.

Aye, gdb seems umm.. unfriendly. But I would much rather have Watcom's WD
text mode debugger than a fancy graphical one.

> I still think the Linux community would benefit greatly from an application
> suite such as VisualAge - having a major company like IBM committing
> themselves to Linux would be a great incentive for other companies to follow
> suit.

Hm, Maybe. But ask any Os/2 user how they feel about IBM and you might not
be so quick to want IBM near linux ;>

Jason