Re: strange who/wtmp

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Remco van de Meent wrote:

> [remco@oloon:~]$ w
>   2:10pm  up 1 day, 22:32h,  1 user,  load average: 1.05, 1.07, 1.01
> USER      TTY    LOGIN@  IDLE   JCPU   PCPU  WHAT
>
> [remco@oloon:~]$
>

> Strange, isn't it?
> When I do 'last -10', there ARE users logged in. But they don't show up with
> w/who.
>
> Anyone hints how this little problem could be solved?

I'm afraid I don't know of a solution, but I have this problem whenever I
upgrade base-passwd (or base-files? I don't remember now), because it
overwrites the utmp file. At least, this appears to be the case. The only
way I could find to get around it was to log out and back in again. I
suppose I ought to do some more research on this, actually ...

HTH,

&E

--
Andy Mortimer, andy.mortimer@poboxes.com