Re: Locate

Rob Browning <osiris@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Pete Poff <ppoff01@mail.coin.missouri.edu> writes:
>
> >       when I use locate I get an error.  This is what I get if I type
> > like locate <what ever>.  Like locate new.stuff.  I get locate:
> > /var/lib/locate/locatedb: No suck file or directory.  Can anyone tell me
> > why?  And is there a command to see how much disk space I have left?
>
> Chances are you are experiencing a bug in an older cron package.
> There was a version which would not set up cron to run automatically
> at boot time.  You can get it cron started with
>
>  /etc/init.d/cron start
>
> as root.  And you can fix the problem permanently by upgrading your
> cron package.

However, this doesn't explain why there is no locatedb at all;
whenever /etc/init.d/boot runs to completion it looks for an
executable file /sbin/setup.sh and it is this script that is supposed
to run updatedb for the first time and then delete itself.

The current install disks for Debian installation have a bug which
leaves the setup.sh script unexecutable; you may find it still exists
on your system with mode 0.

Does this explain anything in your (Pete's) case?

Giuliano Procida.