Cannot install kernel module sbpcd with reveal CD drice

Please excuse me if I am wrong in my assumption that this is the correct
place to ask a question such as the following...

I am really in a bind here.  After an agonizing week of waiting, my new
debian CD showed up and I got to work installing.  Everything went
smoothly untill I went to install the kernel modules.  I have a 'reveal'
cd rom drive (possibly made by panasonic), that connects to the SC400
Reveal 4R sound card.

I tried to install the sbpcd module for the kernel during the install,
but after taking 5 minutes or so to test a variety of addresses and names
(SoundBlaster, Lasersomethingorother, etc), it said that the installation
failed.  It seemed to get something at 0x230 SoundBlaster (the busy light
on the drive went on) but after spending a bit of time there, it just
continues.

I took those parameters and tried to feed them in manually doing:
append "sbpcd=0x230,SoundBlaster"
but it doesnt do anything.  I read the CDROM howto, and that was the only
advice I could glean from it.

As you may have gathered, I am really at a loss here, and would be most
grateful for any help offered.

Ciao,

David Welton
davidw@efn.org  davidw@freenet.hut.fi  http://www.efn.org/~davidw
Se quest'email e` in Italiano, mi dispiace per gli errori:-) FORZA PANTANI!

--
This message was distributed manually by Bruce@debian.org after the list
initially failed to distribute it.