Re: Real Audio

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Christian Lynbech wrote:

> I upgraded to 2.0.0 and found much to my pleasant surprise that my
> soundblaster card had started to work. Then I upgraded to 2.0.6 and it
> stopped working again (I haven't had time to properly report it yet,
> so I haven't the error message at hand but it was something about
> allocating an IRQ). Downgrading back to 2.0.0 fixed things.

Although this might not be your problem, there is a major bug with the
sound driver (at least with Sound Blaster16) in some of the 2.0.x kernels
(sorry, I don't remember which ones).  I think 2.0.0 is ok, and it may
have been fixed by now in the latest 2.0.x kernels but I don't know.  The
usual effect is that it completely locks up your system the 2nd time the
sound module is loaded (or autoloaded via kerneld).  This can be fixed by
not including MIDI support in the sound driver when compiling your kernel
(of course if you need MIDI support you're SOL).  Like I say, this *may*
have been fixed by now in the latest 2.0.x kernels.

Gerry