Re: printing and .profile problems

Success!

Thanks to everyone's copious outpouring of hints and advice, I easily fixed
both my .profile and my printing problems.

1. I'm using bash and sure enough both the .bash_profile and .bashrc files
were sitting right there in the user's home directory waiting to be noticed.
I'm guessing that Slackware must not install those files there which is why
I didn't have this problem previously.

2. I fixed the problem of the user not being able to print by fixing
ownerships and permissions, namely:

  rwxrwsr_x   root   lp     /usr/spool/lpd/hp4p

and changed the five files, /usr/spool/lpd/hp4p/.seq, /errs, /input_filter,
/lock and /status to ownership root.lp. (Under Slackware these ownerships
were root.daemon).

Thanks again for all the help.
Warning, I hope everyone realizes now that I will return with many more
problems now that these two are fixed. But not now, got to go to work.

Chris Beamis