xdm -- Second X Session

Can someone clue me in or point me in the right direction on have xdm
start up a second X session on startup.  I did manage to change
no-start-xdm to start-xdm in /etc/X11/config, and that change now causes
xdm to manage one session nicely.

So far, I've only been able to manually get a second X session going for
root (doesn't seem to work for a normal user :( ) by using the following
command line: "startx -- /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_Mach64 :1"

But other than this, I have had no success at running simultaneous X
servers.

Could someone who's trodden this path before pass down some wisdom from
the ages?

Thanks
Paul