Re: X is painful

steve@myrddin.greenend.org.uk (Stephen Early)  wrote on 15.11.96 in <[🔎] m0vOCMv-0001m7C@myrddin.greenend.org.uk>:

> Creating a user interface under X that is as good as NextStep is just
> a matter of getting every X application author to agree to adhere to
> the same policy. I wish you luck.

Actually, this is a very good description of the problem.

And I agree with Bill. The situation we have sucks big rocks through
straws. It sucks even more because it seems there is *no* way to solve
this problem. (Maybe the FSU can do something. Well, I can dream, can't
I?)

The designers of X made one *big* error. It's nice to be able to configure
how the system looks. But the X window manager system doesn't actually do
that, it only handles a very small part of the system (window decorations,
window focus, and similar stuff). Had that interface only been richer ...

MfG Kai

--
This message was distributed manually by Bruce@debian.org after the list
initially failed to distribute it.