Support for Page Scanners (ie. HP ScanJets)

   This is important, so any help is greatly appreciated (I am to
make a recommendation as to a complete system to handle Web pages,
E-Mail and networks for a small university, and If I can get their
ScanJet to work, I probably could sell them, They use Adobe
Photoshop, and I think the GIMP could fill that need).  Anyways, I
need to know, I haven't actually dug into Linux yet.