Re: System hangs on SCSI reset (AHA 1522).

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Paul Christenson [N3EOP] wrote:

> Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> >
> > This is with two flavors of Slacware and with Debian.  It seems to be a
> > problem that my SCSI adapter has with Linux in general.
> >
> > On Sep 22,  6:34pm, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > Subject: Re: System hangs on SCSI reset (AHA 1522).
> > : > Problem:  The system hangs when the SCSI bus is reset.
> > : > Config:   Adaptec 1522 SCSI controller
> > : >           Two different motherboards
> > : >           Three different versions of Linux
> > : >
> > : > More specifically, I cannot perform a soft reboot from Linux.
>
> Could you give the actual failure message?

Hallo

Sometimes I have the same problem (Adaptec 2940u).
But it doesn't happen on every reboot.
Somewhere in the Suse dist. 4.2 there is a hint
to solve the problem but I couldn't find it again.
I think it was like this:
Give the kernel the boot parameter "aic7xxx=noreset".
(aic7xxx is the driver for my scsi adapter)
Then the scsi adapter will not make a reset again.

Hope that's right and will help you.

Gerhard

Gerhard Schneider
Brudermannstra_e 6a