Re: Another smail question or two

>>>>> "jhspies" == jhspies  <jhspies@ilink.nis.za> writes:

    jhspies> Thank you to everyone who responded to my previous
    jhspies> questions on smail.  I have a dialup-ppp connection with
    jhspies> an Internet Service Provider.  My usename at the ISP is
    jhspies> jhspies while I use js as a username on my own machine
    jhspies> (which is not part of a network).  I call my computer
    jhspies> johann.

    jhspies> What happened now was that mail I sent using Elm, had the
    jhspies> following addres in the "from"-field: js@johann.nis.za.
    jhspies> The correct address is jhspies@ilink.nis.za. (ilink is my
    jhspies> ISP).  Then I reconfigured smail and put ilink in the
    jhspies> place of the local host.  That helped a little bit.  Then
    jhspies> the adress was js@ilink.nis.za.

    jhspies> Do I have to use the same username on my computer than I
    jhspies> use at the ISP?  If not, how do I correct the problem?

    jhspies> If I have to change my username on my own computer, which
    jhspies> is the best way to transfer all my present files to the
    jhspies> new username?

    jhspies> I am not sure whether mail sent through elm when I was
    jhspies> not connected to my ISP, will be sent automatically when
    jhspies> the ppp-connection is established.

    jhspies> I am sending this email-message through my windows-system
    jhspies> otherwise you will not be able to "reply" to my mail with
    jhspies> the present problems.

    jhspies> Can somebody help please?

    jhspies> Johann Spies jhspies@ilink.nis.za

    jhspies> -- TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word
    jhspies> "unsubscribe" to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
    jhspies> . Trouble? e-mail to Bruce@Pixar.com

I have a similar situation.  I do my work at home but receive my mail
on a Sun at school.  I do my mail in emacs.  I just have emacs set the
'from' and 'Reply-to' fields in the header by default to my school
e-mail address.  I assume that elm also supports setting the 'from'
and 'Reply-to' fields.  For receiving mail I have popmail pick up the
mail from school and put it in a mailbox in my home directory.  I then
have emacs look there for incoming mail.

Everything works fine except that the domain name is stripped from the
addresses of incoming mail on the sun and I have to manually replace
them when replying to e-mail.

I don't know if my solution is best but it is a possible approach for
you.

Good luck,
Nathan