Re: Ftpd annoyance - DIR doesn't work for anonymous ftp

On Sat, 4 May 1996, David M Smith wrote:

> Definitely agree with this.  It would be nice to have an anon-ftp
> package which would set up ~ftp as appropriate (but not as extremely
> as Mark suggests!)

There is already such thing out there.

[alexandria] ~>dpkg -s wu-ftpd
Package: wu-ftpd
 wu-ftpd (Washington University ftp server) is a replacement ftp server
 for Unix systems.  Besides supporting the ftp protocol defined in RFC 959,
 it adds the following features:
    o logging of transfers .
    o logging of commands
    o on the fly compression and archiving
    o classification of users on type and location
    o per class limits
    o per directory upload permissions
    o restricted guest accounts
    o system wide and per directory messages.
    o directory alias
    o cdpath
    o filename filter

Also the package sets up anonimous ftp (I think you have to remove the
ftp directory and ftp user for automatic configuration to work.).