Replacing Slackware with Debian

With Release 6, I would like to replace Slackware with Debian.  I run
Linux as a single user on a 486 with a 1 gb drive split into 4 partitions:
	1 - MSDOS
	2 - Linux Swap
	3 - Slackware
	4 - Debian (for 0.93R6)

I would like to keep /home, /usr, /usr/local etc. on partition 3 and
put root and admin directories on partition 4.

I have perused the draft installation manual and have not found
information addressing a replacement installation.  I know this topic was
discussed a few months ago, but that discussion is not archived on the
current mailing list archive.

What directories do I mount when installing Debian, and what Slackware files
and directories must I remove? and should that be done prior to the
installation?  Or what the case be for a completely new install?

TIA-

Steve Rauch	<srauch@u.washington.edu>