Re: /etc/profile

Karl Eichwalder writes ("/etc/profile"):

KE: Perhaps some programs might add useful things to /etc/profile;
KE: after installing less I would like to see
KE:
KE: PAGER=less; export PAGER

Yes, this is a good idea. Of course, the installation-procedure has to
ask the user, if he wants to set this enviroment; the same principle as
with "elvis": "do you want me to make elvis your default editor?".

ARCHIE_HOST would also be a useful entry. More suggestions?

The same is already done for app-defaults, see xarchie.

Ian Jackson answers:

IJ: Be careful. If you have packages' scripts edit conffiles (which is
IJ: what /etc/profile is) the user will get conffiles resolution prompts
IJ: that they probably don't understand, because they won't have edited
IJ: the file themselves.

Thats true. So the install-proc has to ask for that.
And, a useful feature could be to make a transscript of all configuration
done by "dpkg/dselect" and the config-steps which the user has refused.
This way he can track everything down and do or undo further changes more
easily.

Regards
Winfried