Re: [English Message] how to type the ligature and learn the french keyboard

	bonjour,

Le samedi 05 juin 2004, Aryan Ameri a écrit...

> doesn't help that I haven't been able to learn how to type properly in
> French. I have been able to figure out how to write accent acute and
> accent grave and circumflex, and the double dot sign like ï and ë (what
> is it called in French by the way?) but I don't know how to type the

we call it tréma (My Harraps translates it in diaresis)

> ligature (like for the word soeur ? How shall I join the O and E
> together?) And I also have not been able to find the {} and [] keys in
> the french keyboard, are they available?

I use this mapping

xmodmap -e 'keycode 116 = Multi_key'

So I can use this right-sided windows key to get æ and œ

> Also, are there any online free tutorials available that teach typing
> properly in french? I remember years ago when I was learning how to
> type English, I found a bunch of tutorials that enabled me to learn
> typing English properly. I googled a bit, but didn't find anything
> useful.

gtypist

> Thanks for the help, and also please CC me in your replies, cause
> obviously I am not a member of the french list (yet)!

You should.

--
jm