quake 1 - cannot find libXext.so.6

I would be enormously grateful for some guidance here!

I am trying to get quake working, under Debian 3. I am running gdm to load Gnome/KDE/etc. What I really want to run is textmode quake, but for now I'll settle for plain ordinary quake 1.

Here are my problems...

=====================

I've loaded the various Quake files, and downloaded the Linux code from ftp.idsoftware.com.

I have loaded the svgalib1 and libc5 libraries from the Debian CDs.

Here's what happens now:

- as root I can exit from gdm and run squake. Sometimes on leaving squake the command line consiole is messed up. It displays screen fulls of p's, or seems to have converted the display font to Cyrillic. I presume this is some incompatibility, it's not a major issue for now.

- as a normal user I get an error message like "cannot fing libXext.so.6". Running "Find File" in KDE shows that this file is on the system.

- I can now only load KDE as root - as a normal user it now freezes at the point it loads the windows manager. Have a feeling this happended after I loaded svgalib1.

- I cannot run ttyquake (because that won't run as root...).

Have I loaded some incompatible files (libc5, svgalib1)? Do I need to set up some permissions?

Many thanks.

- Joe