lilo trouble

Hi!

I have a machine with a large IDE-disk (hda) and a smaller, but also
 faster SCSI-disk (sda). So the system resides on SCSI, bulk data on
 IDE. So far, so good. But I can´t, for whatever reason, just boot
 completely from the SCSI-disk, so I installed the MBR on the IDE one.

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/sda7

There is a small /boot-partition on sda1, also.

This setup worked flawlessly since 09/2000 until today I changed a
 flaky network card and needed to upgrade from kernel 2.2.18 to 2.2.19
 to get the via-rhine-module in a recent version.

I installed (am I already grinding on your nerves? I know this is
 rather long, but I can´t figure out how to keep it shorter and yet
 include all vital information) kernel-image 2.2.19-2, although I
 decided to write lilo.conf and run lilo myself, JIC it would bitch
 about the SCSI/IDE-setup otherwise.

When I try to boot from the disk, all I get after the lilo-prompt is
   Error 0x01
   Unable to load Linux
   Error 0x01
   <repeat>

I googled up the following advice:
- re-recreate the map-file
- check BIOS-settings
  - disable internal CPU-cache
  - make conservative DRAM-settings
  - make the IDE-drive known to the BIOS
  - attach the IDE-drive as master, without any slave
- upgrade BIOS
- run lilo with append - pci=nobios
                         pci=conf1
                         pci=conf2

did/checked all that, didn´t help.

But best is the explanation for lilo-error 0x01:
"`Illegal command''. This shouldn't happen, but if it does, it may
 indicate an attempt to access a disk which is not supported by the
 BIOS."

Then why did it work flawlessly until today? I´m out of clues, here,
 definitely.

Can´t run the old kernel also. I´m just that: >< short now of
 crunching the whole setup and getting a SCSI-controller with BIOS so I
 can (maybe?) boot directly from SCSI, but somehow that doesn´t seem
 right.

So, any hints for a clueless?

cheers#tia,
&rw
--
-- A classic is something that everyone wants
-- to have read and nobody wants to read.