Re: teTeX is gone, beware of build-dependencies

Michael Biebl <biebl@teco.edu> wrote:

> Hi Frank, tex maintainers,
>
> I have a package (libnl) which generates html documentation.
> I build depend on tetex-bin currently (doxygen requires the latex and
> dvips command).
> With the transitional package tetex-bin, my package still builds.
> The question is, can I keep the build-depends on tetex-bin or will
> this dummy package go away?

It will be kept so that users get a smooth etch->lenny upgrade, but
*please* do not use the transitional packages as Depends or
Build-Depends.  They are not meant for that.

> Should I replace tetex-bin with the texlive counterparts (probably
> unfortunate for backporters)

Since texlive exists in etch, I see no problem for backporters.

> or simply add an tetex-bin |
> texlive-base-bin?

No, the "tetx-bin |" is useless.

> Would texlive-base-bin be sufficient for a working
> latex environment?

No, you want either texlive-latex-base or more than that
(texlive-latex-recommended, texlive-fonts-recommended, and maybe
texlive-lang-<whatever>).