Re: Sould tl-latex-base suggest/recommend tl-fonts-recommended?

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 22:01 +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:
>
> > Overall, I would not change texlive's splitting [1] but only add some
> > connection between tl-latex-base and tl-fonts-recommended. However, IMO
> > a Depends: would be to much. Especially for buildds but also for users
> > who know what they are doing it does not hurt to make it possible to
> > install LaTeX without the LW35 fonts.
>
> Won't exactly that be a problem for buildds?  Many LaTeX-code-generators
> do \usepackage{times/mathptmx/...}, and it will be hard to tell
> maintainers that they need an additional dependency on
> fonts-recommended.

Why will this be hard? Is it that unusual to have a package that has
additional functionality when some other package is installed (and
therefore gets recommended or suggested). If one now uses this
additional functionalty, one of course has to depend on both packages.
To me this looks very natural, but I am not claiming to have lots of
experience in this field.

cheerio
ralf