Re: SVN tetex-base commit: r1067 - tetex-base/trunk/debian

Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> wrote:

> On 21.03.06 Frank Küster (frank@kuesterei.ch) wrote:
>>
>> Nein - zum Teil aus Faulheit, zum Teil weil ich fürchte, dass er
>> seinen texmf-Tree ohnehin nicht mehr pflegt.
>>
> Jetzt mal langsam: für teTeX 3.0 nicht mehr oder generell nicht mehr?
> Wird teTeX sterben?

Sorry, I was sure that I had posted this to the list, but I can't find
the mail, and maybe it was in a private conversation with Norbert.

Thomas wrote in http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.live/9758

,----
| > are you planning any updates to teTeX 3.0 (esp. to the texmf tree) in
| > the forseeable future?
|
| no, I have no such plans, sorry.
|
| At the moment, I am not even sure about the future of teTeX. The efforts
| to reuse existing packages (debian packages of TeX Live, miktex packages,
| miktex infrastructure ported to unix, etc.) seems to be a much better
| way than duplicating the work and making a stand-alone distribution.
|
| The source of teTeX is 100% contained in TeX Live, so there won't be a
| loss, too.
|
| Thomas
`----

I also know from him privately and from people who know him in person
that maintaining teTex has caused him lots of work on weekends before
the 3.0 release, work which he just can't do again currently.  On the
other hand, he's still an active contributor to TeXlive which took all
the fine infrastructure scripts he originally developed for teTeX.

Therefore, yes, I'm not sure, but I fear that there will be no teTeX 3.1
or 4.0.

> Du hattest eine URL geschickt, wo man was
> runterladen könne:

Yes, the work has mainly been done by Peter Breitenlohner.

> preusse@preusse ~ $ rsync rsync://tug.org/tetexdevsrc/ localdir
> skipping directory /.

rsync -r rsync://tug.org/tetexdevsrc/ localdir

Debian Developer (teTeX)