Re: Providing an up-to-date TeX system for etch: teTeX, TeXlive, or what?

On Mit, 15 Mär 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
> >> 1. + Automatic updates of all systems that have TeX installed
> >>    + The amount of work can be controlled well, hopefully
> >>    - No updates of TEXMF trees
> >
> > We could change the order in TEXMFDIST and advice people to install the
> > necessary texlive packages.
>
> That's a good point.

With the next version most package will be installable with tetex.

> >>    - duplication of work, we already have TeXlive
> >
> > Would it be possible if tetex-bin would not buid/install pdftex.
> > Instead, tetex-bin would depend on texlive-pdftex-bin, or whatever it is
> > called.
>
> Yes, I think that would be fairly easy from a packaging point of view.
> The only complication is that texlive-pdftex-bin obiously can't depend
> on any infrastructure files in tetex-bin or texlive-whatever-bin, only
> on tex-common.
>
> It seems to me that this hybrid 1+3 variant might in fact be a good
> compromise.  Norbert, what do you think?  Hilmar?  Florent?

Hmm, this would need a bit restructuring, as there is no
texlive-pdfetex-bin.

pdfetex is contained in texlive-base-bin (as it is the base of all tex
formats), and this packages does not go well with tetex ...

I don't see that it makes much sense to do this. Wouldn't it be easier
to get the new pdfetex sources and put them into the tetex-bin package?
Normally these packages are quite well incorporated so not much is
needed besides unpacking it into the respective directory, maybe not
overwriting all the makefile(am/in/whatever). One could even take the
texlive-bin source slice which should work out of the box (??).

FULKING (participial vb.)
Pretending not to be in when the carol-singers come round.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff