Re: Regression testing of tetex

Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> wrote:

>> - the tests discussed should be added upstream, or within the general
>>   testing project I suggested - at least this is how I understood
>>   Norbert
>
> Yes, I agree that's the case. So there are two aspects to this
> 'automatic testing'
>
> 1.  Upstream point of view: extensively testing every style file etc,
>     so that we have enough coverage and high-quality tex distribution.
>
> 2.  Debian point of view: assume upstream has already done some
>     QA. Debian is adding some packaging scripts, and they need to be
>     tested on top. To make sure the Debian-added portions work,
>     implement some kind of 'package install -- build tex file -- check
>     result' script.
>
> Debian doesn't need an extensive scripting; we need some kind of
> minimal test that checks for some fonts, some stylesheets, some
> hyphenation, some dvi->ps->pdf dvi->pdf translation, so that what
> we're generating under /etc/texmf and /var/lib/texmf are somewhat
> correct.

What I occasionally do before uploading (after larger changes) is copy
array.dtx from /usr/share/texmf/source/latex/tools/array.dtx and run
latex/dvips and pdflatex over it, and I do it once without and once with
tetex-extra installed - this also tests the font setup, since array.dtx
uses lots of fonts in metafont format without, and type1 with
tetex-extra.

Debian Developer (teTeX)