Re: tex-common and priority

Hi all, I'm not so familiar with texinfo/info but,...

From: Frank Küster <frank@debian.org>
Subject: Re: tex-common and priority
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:58:35 +0100

> Moreover, I find it strange that texinfo "Suggests: tetex-extra" (the
> weaker dependency), while it even "Recommends: tetex-doc" - what's the
> reason for the Recommends, which texts are actually useful for texinfo
> authors?

Hmm, on my sid box

kohda@ferio:~$ apt-cache show texinfo | grep Recommends
kohda@ferio:~$
kohda@ferio:~$ apt-cache show texinfo | grep Suggests
Suggests: tetex-bin | texlive-base

Or am I talking about different issue?

> So one solution would be to simply drop the dependency on
> tetex-bin|tex-common, and maybe also on tetex-doc, while moving
> tetex-extra to Recommends.
>
> The other solution would be to lower texinfo's priority;  I don't see
> why it needs to be standard, as a tool that's only used by developers,
> and among them only by a fairly large minority, mainly of traditional or
> base software (while all the funky desktop stuff and probably many more
> things are documented with xml/sgml/html).
>
> Or we could do both, lowering the priority and dropping the Depends.  Or
> I missed something important...

I might be wrong but I think simply that texi2dvi needs
working TeX system so, at least, some dependency on (Depends
or Recommends) tetex-bin or tetex-extra is reasonable.

Anyway I remembered that when tetex's priority was lowerd to
optional (from standards?) there were some discussions in
debian-devel@l.d.o so if you decide to lower the priority it
might be better to announce it to debian-devel@l.d.o before
doing so really.

Best regards,			2006-1-24(Tue)