Re: Fun with updates

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 23:36 +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Die, 10 Jan 2006, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> > > TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/,}map//;$TEXMF/dvips//
> > >
> > > but we should remove the empty path before map as soon as possible.
> > > Comments?
> >
> > Looks good to me. That way all three possible locations for map files
> > should be covered. TeX Live has switched to map files in
> > TEXMFDIST/fonts/map/dvips, right? So there should be no problems from
> > that side.
>
> Yes, texlive packages do not look for map files in /etc/texmf/map, so
> packages like lm get lost.

Do the texlive packages change TEXFONTMAPS from the setting in
tex-common? If not, they do /look/ into every directory in every TEXMF
tree when looking for map files, which is 'a fortunate bug' as Frank put
it. But both texlive and current tetex /place/ their map files into
TEXMFDIST/fonts/map/dvips, so the new setting of TEXFONTMAPS proposed by
Frank should be fine. For tetex compatibility with current packages is,
of course, important.

cheerio
ralf