Re: fmt.d configuration files changes

> Hi Frank!
>
> On Mit, 20 Jul 2005, Frank Küster wrote:
>> > What happens if a user changes the fmt.d/XXX files? I guess the changes
>> > are not preserved.
>>
>> If the files are just plain dpkg conffiles (and I see no reason why they
>> shouldn't be), they are preserved - or rather if the file changes in the
>> package, the usual dpkg dialog is displayed.  No problem here.
>
> WOnderful, but then, why do we have all this complicated stuff with
> update-fontlang? Shouldn't the same happen with fmt.d/ stuff? I.e., when
> a packages is removed, and its config file is changed, than it stays
> there (for a reinstall), but is not used for actually building the
> fmtutil.cnf file.

For updmap.cfg and language.dat, the problem is when a package is
removed, but not purged, i.e. its conf(iguration) files are still on the
system.  fmtutil.cnf is different:  Each format description refers to an
ini file, and if this file is not found, it simply does nothing.
Therefore we don't need the stuff with the memory dir.

>> > Maybe I try and merge update-fmtutil also into update-fontlang? What do
>> > you think?
>>
>> I also had this idea.  But if you do it, please start from revision 63
>
> Does this mean that you think it is a good idea?

Yes, less, but more general code is probably easier to maintain.