Adding hyphenation patterns to language.dat

Hello,

        I am trying to create a Debian package that adds hyphenation
patterns for a language that is not part of the standard TeTeX
distribution; ideally, my postinst script would be able to add the
hyphenation patterns to language.dat, and then the user could run
dpkg-reconfigure to enable the patterns. What is the appropriate way
to do this? Should I be adding the new language to language.dflt or
directly to language.dat? Thanks for all and any help,

         Ivan Raikov

--
"The critical spirit makes distinctions, and to distinguish is a sign
 of modernism. In modern culture the scientific community praises